Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Sunday 3/28 7pm: EVE IN THERAPY (& other treats)

 

March 23, 2021

  • Sunday 3/28 7pm: Eve in Therapy
  • A Rave for livestream HICK
  • HICK & Interview still available



PREVIOUS BLOGS: TERRYBAUM.BLOGSPOT.COM
PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED.
IF THIS BLOG WAS FORWARDED TO YOU, YOU ARE NOT SUBSCRIBED.

FOR LINKS TO EVERYTHING: LilithTheater.com


EVE IN THERAPY -- FREE LIVE STREAM!
Yes, BlogMistress admits she's having a bit of trouble getting back in the blogsaddle. It is so HARD to face the whole world and so much EASIER to deal with a tiny scrap of it like our scene about Eve's session with psychiatrist Dr. Lilith concerning Eve's notorious bite of a certain fruit. Not an insignificant scrap of the world, but still a scrap.
(I am having difficulty with that paragraph above. I just want to send this off rather than get help.)

Carolyn and I will be doing EVE IN THERAPY, our signature Crackpot Crones scene, as part of a live stream evening of seven short scenes presented by the Dramatists Guild in honor of Women's History Month. The evite describes all seven scenes, and they all intrigue me. EVE will be the third one. Please do try to see this, because I don't know if it will be available after the one performance.
Carolyn and I are having so much fun working on EVE, which we've performed many times here and there around the U.S. and Mexico. We're being directed by Velina Brown, of SF Mime Troupe fame, and we love it. Of course, she's a master of comedy (her Mime Troupe background) AND Velina also takes us SERIOUSLY. She reminds us of the depth of the story we're telling -- of Eve's pain and Lilith's loving care.
Quite frankly, I'd forgotten everything except the comedy. Just because you wrote something doesn't mean you ever grasped its full meaning. It's quite something to work with Velina.

Velina asks questions that stop me in my tracks. When she was directing the SF Fringe production of HICK, she asked me, "Who is Hick talking to?" My first response was "What do you mean 'who is she talking to?"! She's talking to whoever paid for a seat that night!" Velina: "Are these people friends or strangers? Is she talking to one or many?" Finally I settled on one friend as my imaginary audience. It made a difference in my performance that it was specific. Recently, Carolyn came up with what I think is the perfect answer: Hick is talking to ME, Terry Baum. This makes sense to me, as I feel such love for Hick. I feel very protective of her.



LIVE STREAM HICK RECEIVES A RAVE!

We got a wonderful review by Charles Kruger on the website TheatreStorm:

  • "The story is full of suspense and interest. But it is the emotional honesty of the two actresses that grips us and proves to be deeply touching."
  • "Eleanor appears, in a graceful performance by Paula Barish. The chemistry between the two women is electric."
  • "The two stories -- love affair and the Great Depression -- are beautifully interwoven."

It's pretty nice to get a rave review where the critic really GETS what you're trying to do. Thank you, Charles! You can read the whole review by clicking TheatreStorm above.

After reading the review and hearing LOTS of positive responses, I finally worked up the courage to watch HICK Live Stream myself. My own review:
  • Paula was superb as Eleanor.
  • The writing (both the playwright's & Eleanor's) was damn good!
  • The directing choices really worked.
  • That actress playing Hick has a ways to go, but she's on the road.


HICK & INTERVIEW STILL AVAILABLE

Many REALLY liked the interview. Try it.


All for now, Bloggelinis. Wow, it feels so GOOD to write you. Why do I deny myself the pleasure???!? Does that happen to you, where you KNOW what you need to do, you KNOW you like doing it, and YET you feel enormous forces weighing you down. Sometimes I feel like I'm pulling against heavy heavy chains that are dragging me backwards. I wonder if perhaps it's a result of the fact that I'm really not supposed to be who I am. My parents brought me into the world to marry a (male) lawyer! Or at least a (male) CPA! They didn't do it so I could write this blog! Well, I done diddly doed it anyhow. So there! Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment