Monday, February 14, 2022

Happy "I Hate Valentines Day" Day

Yes, it's the Tenth Anniversary
of the Crackpot Crones'
"I Hate Valentine's Day" Show!

Let's remember and celebrate the wonderful theater set by Mica Miro, the beautifully funky Dark Room Theater, the sold-out and lively audiences... Admittedly, the actual show wasn't so memorable. I think Carolyn and I tried too hard. The skits were too complicated. BUT -- We had the greatest poster that was ever designed for any theater I've ever done. Ever ever ever. Melissa Walker was my housemate and the Crones' graphic designer, and she outdid herself with this one. I deeply regret that my father, who had a small advertising agency, died before I could tell him I had an "in-house" graphic designer.

And below are two "I Hate Valentine's Day" Day events happening TONIGHT. In fact, there were many anti-Vday events over the weekend. I can only modestly hope that the Crackpot Crones' long-ago effort in some way helped encourage this delightful subversion of a much-hated holiday.

Because in my opinion:

PEOPLE WHO ARE MADLY IN LOVE
OR HAVE A WONDERFUL MARRIAGE/LOVE RELATIONSHIP DO NOT NEED THEIR OWN SPECIAL HOLIDAY!

EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES IS A FUCKING HOLIDAY!

FEBRUARY 14 JUST MAKES THE REST OF US FEEL SHITTY!


Here's what you can do to celebrate "I Hate Valentine's Day" Day
So This Sucks: A Night of Heartbreak and Disappointment
From the creators of “About Last Night,” a one-night-stand storytelling series, comes an Anti-Valentine’s Day show with true tales of heartbreak and disappointment from brave storytellers who plan to share their most humorous and horrifying breakup tales. There will be a post-performance heartbreak cocktail hour from 9:30 to 10:30 p.m.
7:30-10:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 14. $15-$25, vaccination proof, masks and reservations required. Gateway Theater, 215 Jackson St., S.F. 42ndstmoon.org/gateway-theatre

Heart & Dagger’s Anti-Valentine’s Day Bash
Join an Anti-Valentine’s Day party in Oakland featuring anti-love horror movies, music with special cocktails, and no kissing allowed.
8 p.m. Monday, Feb. 14. Free, 21 and older, vaccination proof required. 504 Lake Park Ave., Oakland. 510-444-7300. heartanddaggersaloon.com


Some V-Day sightings in the Castro that I couldn't resist,
despite me phobia:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment