Friday, July 30, 2021

A Message to Sighted People

 

I bought the Street Sheet yesterday from the woman I usually buy from on 24th Street, but now she was standing on Market. She asked me if I wanted to buy any of her fridge magnets of Maya Angelou and Nina Simone, but I reminded her that I'd already bought some. (But then again, can anyone have too many fridge magnets of Nina Simone?) Then she recognized me because of the pups. I might be the only person who spends a lot of time walking around San Francisco with a pair of elegant black Standard Poodles.

Why did I only give her $2 -- the minimum? At that moment, I felt I was being generous to buy the paper at all. I thought I was doing her a favor to buy the paper. Often I don't read it at all -- except the poetry issue, which is always fantastic. But after I started actually reading this Street Sheet -- the Disability Justice Issue -- I realized, SHE was doing ME a favor by standing out there selling it! And I plan to read every Street Sheet from now on. I went to the website to donate to make up for my chintzy $2. If you are so inspired: Click here to donate.

Below you can read A MESSAGE TO SIGHTED PEOPLE written by Dlan, which I retyped in its entirety. I hope you take the time to read it. Dlan is clear, kind and helpful. And after you read that....

I urge -- I mean I really URGE YOU to read.....


This is the story of Dlan's life and it's actually
FASCINATING
JOYFUL
HOPEFUL
and, unbelievably...
SHOWS THE UNITED STATES IN A POSITIVE LIGHT!

Come on, folks, how often do you get that combo of qualities?? Admittedly, our country shares the responsibility for Dlan becoming a refugee in the first place.

BUT...
Did you know the U.S. has a program to resettle disabled refugees and their families here? And the program is well and compassionately run! I know, I know. It's weird, but true. So please read the story Dlan's life after you read...

A Message to Sighted People

My name is Dlan and I am blind. I have been totally blind since birth. My whole life, sighted people have been trying to help, but they do it poorly. They often do not understand me and do not think of simply asking me what I feel comfortable with when they have tried to help. I don't need to be grabbed or touched to be helped. I want to spread the message of respect, communication and equality from those with disabilities to people without disabilities.

Here is how to better help blind people:

  • First, don't assume blind people always need help. No matter who you are, some people can do things better than others -- whether they have a disability or not. The way someone does something may simply look different than how you're used to seeing it.

  • Second, you can feel comfortable around blind people, but please make sure you're paying attention to what's around you if you're guiding one of us. At that moment, we are trusting that you are making sure we are safe. If you don't know what to do, just ask. Most of us are happy to answer your questions on how to best give us assistance.

It's easier than you think. Ask and listen to blind people. That's it. It's very easy to help people who are blind or disabled. Avoid making assumptions. If people approach each other with more communication, there would be more respect. Treating each other this way will set us up for better interactions. I know many sighted people want to say and do everything correctly without offending anyone, but don't put that pressure on yourself. How cn you know what to do without learning first from the person that is disabled? Communication is all it takes. And who knows? Maybe we'd all realize that we're more alike than different and can build community.

Bloggelinis: I was blown away by Dlan's writing and moved by the simple compassion of "don't put that pressure on yourself." Other articles were also compelling, like THE RIGHT TO WASH. The Street Sheet is a treasure. Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment