Thursday, September 15, 2022

MULE for SALE + UDATES

 

Subscribe to My Blog!

September 15, 2022



MULE for SALE

plus UPDATES


PREVIOUS BLOGS: TERRYBAUM.BLOGSPOT.COM

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED.

PODCASTS, EVENTS, INFO, POSTERS: LilithTheater.com



BLUENIE UPDATE:

LATEST TO ARRIVE IN THE GARDEN

I think this is Costa Rican Sage. I have a very soft spot for it, and not just because of the gorgeous deep blue blooms. I had a Costa Rican girlfriend who was a great love. I tracked her down on the itnernet and found some photos of her at a poetry festival in Madrid. She's better-looking now than she was 25 years ago. Not fair!




TRASH CAN UPDATE

I was very happy to see this "Soft Square" trash can downtown, cheerily decorated with lots of little bicyclers.  Actually, it looks a bit smearily decorated too.  But I say it's a fine attempt to bring more art to Market Street, which already has a lot and needs even more.  I certainly would never have noticed the foot pedal if I hadn't read about it, but I DID know and I used it to easily access the opening -- which was DISGUSTING -- see below. 

To force all the garbage through such a narrow slot is obviously a giant engineering error.  Gross gross gross!


Is there a truly clean city in this country?  I'm just wondering.  Yes, a city has to pay a lot of people to go around picking up and scrubbing and 

wiping. That is certainly honorable work -- as honorable as cleaning someone else's house.


I just looked up and notice part of my thumb in the bluenie photo. Who am I to judge a whole city? I cannot keep one blog tidy.



MULE FOR SALE or THE ROAD NOT TAKEN 

Yesterday I was burrowing through my photos and posters and paintings, doing some winnowing. 


I came across the above piece of paper. I had made an enlarged photocopy of this ad because I was obsessed with the mule described therein.


I am a long-time subscriber 

to MAIZE, the Country Dyke's magazine. This classified ad appeared in its pages years ago -- 2008 or 2009. I just fell in love with Hansum the mule. (This is not a photo of Hansum but of an anonymous and beautiful sorrel mule from the internet.) 


I dare you to read that ad and not fall in love with Hansum too!  Doesn't he sound like the most wonderful animal companion you could ever have?


I showed the ad to Carolyn, told her I knew that my life would be transformed if I only had Hansum.  I dreamed of being the "mule-lovin, wimmin-lovin womoon/wimmin" that Kali, Hansum's owner, was seeking.  


Could I buy Hansum, move to a farm where I could keep him and start a new life? Well, yes, in theory I COULD. But WOULD I? I'm a city girl from top to toes. Have been ever since I lived in Manhattan when I was 17. 


I was in a quandary -- On the one hand, a daily cappuccino made by an expert, was necessary for my happiness. On the other hand, the most wonderful mule in the world was available -- and at a reduced price for a mule-lovin wimmin-lovin womoon/wimmin, which I actually was!  Although I'm not familiar with the mule market, I think we can all agree that $3500 is a bargain for such a magnificent and useful being. What to do, what do to?  


Well, the truth is for me to have any chance at happiness, I have to live, not just near, but easy walking distance from a cafe -- 5 blocks max. Do you know of any farms with cafes within five blocks? I don't think so! So I settled for staying in San Francisco and babbling endlessly to Carolyn about Hansum.  


HANSUM ADDENDUM 1: At the Michigan Women's Music Festival that year, I won a raffle prize, which was leather spats made by Pam, one of the craftswomen selling her wares there.  I went to be measured by her for the spats. Pam and I really hit it off, and had a great time talking. She was an actual country dyke. My main connection to the country was MAIZE Magazine, and I mentioned the ad about Hansum. And it turned out SHE had read the ad and was in love with Hansum too!  


Can you believe it? What are the odds that I would ever run into another woman who had fallen for Hansum?  Even at the Michigan Women's Music Festival, there must have been very few. Shoemaker Pam and i were deeply bonding until her girlfriend showed up. My new soul sister said, "Honey, meet Terry! She fell in love with Hansum too!" Honey looked at both of us in disgust. "I can't believe you found another total fool for that animal. I told you we need that money for a tractor!" Pam and I felt rather sheepish as Honey glared at us. We'd lost that good mule-lovin feelin.  


HANSUM ADDENDUM 2:When I found the ad yesterday, I phoned and emailed Hansum's Kali to get an update on what had happened to him. So far, I haven't heard anything. I debated tossing the paper with the ad, but I just could not bring myself to do it. I'll probably discover it again in a decade, and text Carolyn again, "Remember Hansum?" And she will. 



Dear Bloggellinis:  So many incredibly important things are happening in the world every single day!  I am inundated with events and my opinions about these events!  But sometimes it's good to take a break from world-changing things and focus on blue flowers or mules gone by.  Love, Terry


No comments:

Post a Comment