Monday, October 10, 2022

LET'S GET CRACKING FOR DEMOCRACY!

 


"If we have a democracy, everything is possible. 

If we DON'T have a democracy, nothing is possible."

Robert Reich

Secretary of Labor under Clinton

(Actually I know he said something almost exactly like this,

but I have been unable to find the precise quote.)



I know that "to get cracking'" is an awfully old-fashioned expression, but that's somehow how I'm feeling about it. I've been in a daze, followed by a malaise, which led to a slump. Then I moved on to drifting, depression, distraction...

But now it's time to get cracking!!! 


According to the internet:

If you tell someone to get cracking, 

you are telling them to start doing something immediately.


So now I am telling myself and all the Bloggelinis:

Let's do everything we can, starting from now,

to influence the mid-term election. 


If you have a special passion or connection with a local candidate or issue -- GO FOR IT!  


And even if you don't -- and I don't this year although there are 56 things to vote for on the ballot (voting "yes" or "no" on a lot of judges makes the list extra long) -- 


This year, Democracy itself is up for a vote!


For the first time, the Republicans have made it clear that, if democracy doesn't keep them in power, then the fault is with democracy, not the Republicans.  They are very open about wanting power in order change the rules to make it easy to sabotage the will of the majority.


I met on Friday with my friend Kathy, to write postcards to registered Democrats in Georgia, urging them to vote.  Kathy is a deeply devoted local activist, but this time she's putting her energy into Georgia.

There are two important races in Georgia, one of them crucial:

One.  Governor: The spectacular Stacy Abrams is running against the Republican incumbent.



And Two.  Senator:  One one side of the ring, we have the solid progressive Democratic incumbent Raphael Warnock, who was the pastor at Martin Luther King's home church and a devoted social justice activist before he ran for office. 

 


And on the other side of the ring, we have the pathetic, clueless, totally unqualified, totally dishonest former football hero specially anointed by Trump himself to represent the good people of Georgia in the Senate: Herschel Walker.

Walker seems to stumble from one horrible gaff to another. After declaring he was against abortion in ALL circumstances, even to save the life of the mother, a woman came forward who had had both an abortion paid for by Walker and a child out of wedlock by him. Walker's son, a Republican media influencer, ahs come out against his own father.  You would think all Republicans would be EMBARRASSED to vote for Walker. But as one of the faithful put it, “I don’t care if Herschel Walker paid to abort endangered baby eagles. I want control of the Senate.”


You can click here to help Abrams & Warnock win.


I myself have written some letters to Democrats in Arizona, urging them to vote, with the project VOTE FORWARD.  I wrote over 100 letters in 2020.  I've only written 20 so far, so I'm committing to write at least 100 this time.


I JUST WANT TO FEEL

I WAS PART OF THE VICTORY IF THINGS GO WELL. 

EVEN MORE IMPORTANT,

I DON'T WANT TO FEEL GUILTY IF THINGS DON'T GO WELL.  


WHAT ARE OTHER BLOGGELLINIS DOING

FOR DEMOCRACY THIS ELECTION CYCLE?

Please write and tell me what projects you're working.  Do it ASAP, and I will send out a blog listing all the projects, so others can participate.  Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment